Group training is when you exercise in a group doing the same movements (circuit training) e.g., bootcamps.
The group sizes are often larger than small group personal training and everyone follows the same routine.
Small Group Personal Training
Small group personal training is what we do at INTENT91 and is essentially personal training delivered in a small group.
By this we mean although you are in a group environment, doing a workout together, you’ll still receive two things you wouldn’t in a group training session…
1) A tailored workout – you’ll be doing different exercises depending on your wants and needs.
2) You’ll get lots of coaching, as the group sizes tend to be no larger than 6 people.
If the personal trainer has experience with training groups, it should feel like you’re receiving as much support and guidance as you would do if you were in a 1-2-1 personal training session.
What are the pros and cons?
Small Group Personal Training
- You get lots of support and guidance – perfect for beginners and people who lack the confidence or motivation.
- It’s tailored to you – perfect for someone who has an injury or again, is new to fitness.
- It’s more cost effective than 1-2-1 personal training.
- You’ll get the results you want as it’s specific to you.
- It’s in a group – this can be pro or a con, depending which way you look at it.
- It’s more expensive than group training e.g., bootcamps.
- It’s cheaper than personal training.
- It’s fun as it’s very sociable.
- Injury risk is higher due to the lack of support.
- Progression might plateau as sessions are often just bodyweight and you don’t receive support that is tailored to your goals.
What should you choose?
Well that depends on a few factors… what are your requirements?
By this we mean:
- Do you have any injuries?
- Do you need support and guidance?
- Are you nervous or lack the confidence in the gym?
If yes to any of these, then small group personal training is your go to.
You should also consider:
- What are your goals?
- Are you trying to build muscle?
- Would you like to learn to lift weights properly?
- Is your current programme just not working?
Same again, if you have a specific goal that requires more attention or maybe you really want to focus on technique then small group personal training is more suited to you.
What is your budget?
- If you have a budget of £200-£350 per month then personal training is perfect for you, if not, group training is the next best option.
Top 3 places for small group personal training in Brighton and Hove…
At INTENT91, we specialise in small group personal training – it’s what we do best.
We won The Argus’s ‘Your Favourite’ gym award 2023 so we must be doing something right!
We’re also trusted by over 300+ members across the south coast.
However, if maybe we aren’t the right fit then here are some alternative gym locations in Brighton and Hove:
Top places in Worthing…
The original flag ship INTENT91 Worthing…
This is where it all began almost 3 years ago!
We have 200 members are are now pretty much at capacity.
Again, if maybe we aren’t quite the right fit, then here is another great personal training gym in Worthing…
If you’d like support and guidance with your health and fitness, simply click HERE to get in touch!